Tuesday, December 05, 2006

It Ain't No Regular Tea Party

My lack of posting lately is directly the result of tea... Specifically the 2006 Northeast Christian Church Christmas Candlelight Tea.

Actually my lack of cooking, cleaning, laundering, shopping, mothering, EATING and blogging resulted from my responsibilities as coordinator of said tea.

Now, for those of you in so-so Cal, you might be thinking a tea? That girl was in charge of putting on a Christmas tea? The girl who mocks glittery Christmas sweaters, giggly all-girl parties and everything that is crafty? Yes, it was me. That's what happens when you make fun of things, God arranges for you to be put in charge of them.

Exhibit 1 -

That is one of 73 tables that were decorated by hostesses who provided dessert, gifts and decor to a table of eight. The tea is offered on two nights along with a "holiday bazaar" and program with a guest speaker. Approximately 1,200 women attended.



I didn't do it all by myself. A team of 12 women and Logan (who interestingly enough is the staff guy actually responsible for the tea) all served in various capacities (ticket sales, programming, crafters, hostesses, marketing, prayer, admin, hospitality to name a few) worked over the last nine months to make it happen.



The evening started with viewing of all the crafters - we had about 26 different vendors who sold jewelry, personalized books, decor, candles, purses, custom chests, embroidered items and quilts. There were three different "tea rooms" where all of the tables were located. Inside the tea rooms, women were seated at their assigned tables where they ate dessert and participated in an ornament exchange.

A few things most didn't know about...

1. A semi truck ran through power lines adjacent to the church and we were told that the church's power might have to be interrupted.

2. I had a hostess fail to show up. This meant that the people who had purchased tickets to her table arrived and discovered that they had no hostess. I had previously called our "no show ho" (as I affectionately referred to her) and in my most polite, assertive voice asked her to leave her home asap and at least bring her food. She explained that her daughter was still in the shower and she might not be able to make it.

I had Ruler of the Roost deliver all the place settings and food and another hostess donated her food and we whipped up a table in about 15 minutes. Disaster averted. They were happy to go shop for their "complimentary candle" while I set the table.

3. I'm still not clear on how this happened, but I get a phone call from Logan who tells me that the main speaker, and three of her family members or friends were on their way in to sit down at a table. I'm thinking, we're sold out, I don't have anywhere to put them, etc. My good friend Amy was hostessing and I saw she had empty seats, so she saved the day.

4. We had to tell the speaker on the first night to shorten her program. She went too long and by the end was KILLING ME... We talked with her and she did a much better job Friday. Though, for what she got paid... she should have hit it both nights.

Which brings me to another sub point - If I got some voice lessons and learned a few Amy Grant knock offs, I think I could take my show on the road... stories, songs, pictures of your family, a "golden nugget" and wah la - you're on the women's speaking circuit making the big bucks. I just have to find a glittery, sequined Christmas sweater first.



I met lots of very nice people - something that at the outset, I was hoping would happen. Many of the women who attended don't go to church - hopefully, their experience at the tea was a good one.

5 Comments:

At 10:38 PM, Blogger joelle said...

the tea looks beautiful, michelle! i dont even have regular china. who are these people?

 
At 10:35 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

"no show ho" Love it!

 
At 11:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are the greatest. Cool under pressure of course. I know it was perfect. MLS

 
At 8:49 PM, Blogger Chickenone said...

mkm - my mom always told me to be very thoughtful about my written word... she says you never know when something you write could come back and bite you...

and I was worried about my "no show ho" reference :)

 
At 9:39 PM, Blogger oopsdupps said...

I may attend Saturday night's services at NEC to meet no-show-ho. I am certain that you mean "ho" as in the Christmas chant ho-ho-ho!
You can take a deep breath now that it is over. I expect you to return to your ultimate capacity of mom, housekeeper and cook of the year.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home