Monday, September 11, 2006

Remembering

I watched the CBS special last night remembering 9/11. It was a documentary done by two French brothers who prior to September 11, 2001 had decided to film a documentary chronicling a NYFD "probie" They were there filming five years ago today. At the end of the special, the song below was sung as pictures of the lost firefighters were displayed. There were so many other victims that day. I knew none of them. I can't imagine the sorrow and sadness their families have endured. Remembering what happened five years ago reminds me of how unbreakable the human spirit can be.

Frederick Edward Weatherly, 1848-1929

O Danny boy, the pipes, the pipes are calling
From glen to glen and down the mountainside
The summer's gone and all the roses falling
'Tis you, 'tis you must go and I must bide.
But come ye back when summer's in the meadow
Or when the valley's hushed and white with snow
'Tis I'll be here in sunshine or in shadow
O Danny boy, O Danny boy, I love you so.

But if ye come and all the flowers are dying
If I am dead, as dead I well may be,
You'll come and find the place where I am lying
And kneel and say an Ave there for me.

And I shall hear, though soft, your tread above me
And all my grave shall warmer, sweeter be
For you will bend and tell me that you love me
And I will sleep in peace until you come to me.

It was a beautiful and haunting song.

2 Comments:

At 6:27 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I didn't manage to watch the CBS doc this time. I saw bits and pieces of the Path to 9/11 on ABC. Mostly I was trying to get too many things done before bed to be ready for today--school, etc.

There has always been something haunting about that song. It is so melancholy. I'm sure it was fitting for the end of that documentary.

M

 
At 10:23 AM, Blogger joelle said...

you have the best blog. i am not even gonna do one anymore!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home