Saturday, May 06, 2006

I'll have another Lilly please...

































Lemons Forever became the longest shot ever to win in the Oaks 132-year history. That's about all I've got to say about the horses.

I really wasn't there to watch the ponies.

Mark and I attended Oaks yesterday and just finished watching the "two most exciting minutes in sports" on TV. Did you catch it? After today, Kentucky once again slips into relative obscurity for the next 365 days.

My Takeaways:

After two ill fated attempts at slathering on flash bronzer, I finally succeeded at not looking like an adobe brick. I was just trying to mitigate my abominable snowman legs

Do a better job at hiding the hat receipt from Accounting Control (Mark)

Silent Auction and Brunch at The Brown Hotel downtown - People will pay a lot of money for really ugly artwork

I never knew lox, toast points, bibb lettuce, benedictine, egg and red onion chive vinaigrette could be so beautifully presented on a plate and taste like cat food.

It is amazing how many people are legally drunk by 11:15 AM

It is important to pace oneself upon arrival at Churchill Downs. There are 11 races approximately 45 minutes apart. A mint julep or in my case "Lilly" between every race will render any lady completely senseless by the end of the day. (Happily, I was not rendered senseless at the end of the day)

Apparently, John Elway is some guy who used to play football.

While everyone at my table poured over their program to figure out which horse to bet on in the next race, I was pouring over the buffet choices.

You have to bet big to win big. The Lagestee's wagered (and lost) a grand total of $14.00.

Walking on the ball of your foot for nine hours in 3 inch heels results in me taking my shoes off and not giving a crap if I step in squished mint sprigs, beer and God only knows what else. Note for next year, bring flip flops to walk back to the car.

While in attendance at a YUM party, be prepared to do the YUM Chant led by David Novak. It doesn't matter who you are - the CEO of McDonald's would be forced to participate if he were there. Give me a "Y" - crowd chants "Y" and makes a Y with their arms. Give me a "U" and so on. "What's that spell?" crowd: YUM "What's that spell?" crowd (louder) YUM! It's like a cult.

Hootie and the Blowfish (they were the entertainment) still have it goin on after all these years. Brought me back to the happy days when Mark and I were first married and blasting the CD in our apartment and making trips back and forth to the laundry room. (Remember doing your laundry at an apartment?)

That about sums it up. Anybody need to borrow a hat?

3 Comments:

At 1:48 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

We could dub this the Encyclopedia of Kentucky Horse Racing. Very informative. The pics are great, Hootie, Elway and Ruler of the Roost. For what more could a woman ask? Next year, chickenone, next year. I want to be there, too, in my own specially designed piece of habadashery and Mystic tan. I don't suppose I can get a Mint Julep sans bourbon?

 
At 7:34 AM, Blogger Chickenone said...

Ruler of the roost says someday, when he really is the ruler of the roost, he'll fly you here on the real chickenone corporate jet and promises to serve you several mint juleps.

 
At 10:42 PM, Blogger Chickenone said...

Jaymarie - I heard you guys went to Crete to visit lon and jo. You would be the perfect companion at the Derby... we might have too much fun. I've got two hats now that Mark says I have to depreciate...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home