Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Sad

I met a new neighbor today. They moved in two doors down and she introduced herself to me on my driveway. She and her husband are from Florida. They have a young son. We chatted, I asked all of the usual questions and we exchanged names and phone numbers.

I'm going to call her.

I'm going to call her because I've spent the better part of four days pouting (again) about how lonely I feel here. I told Mark I can go days when he's out of town and only talk with my kids. Sure we have friends we've made here... very nice people by the way. But I can't help longing for the friendships that I have in CA. I miss my mom and dad. I miss my sister and seeing her new baby. The strangest things here trigger my sadness.

On Sunday, I drove by a house - there were several cars out front. Kids playing outside with dads and uncles. Sunday dinner with family. We used to do that at my mom's house almost every week. I wish my kids could experience that.

The boys had their basketball banquet. Mark had to be out of town. So I went with them, they had lots of fun but as I sat there, once again, I felt so alone in a room full of all kinds of extended family cheering on their nephew, niece or grandchild.

I have very dear friends who are in the midst of amazing and life changing experiences (expanding their family by fostering children, navigating a painful divorce, getting married, etc.) and I feel like I'm missing out on walking through those experiences with them, helping out, and being present because I live so far away.

For some reason, I haven't "leaved and cleaved" fully. I don't want to leave and cleave because so many years and experiences are wrapped up with my family and friends at home.

So, I know what I would offer in the way of advice to somebody in my shoes. I usually always know the solution and am rarely in the mood to work toward it. But I will call my new acquaintance down the street. It's a good baby step today and for now, all I'm in the mood for.

5 Comments:

At 11:54 AM, Blogger Sheila said...

I know this sadness. I'm sorry you are in it, but I'm also glad that you know the way out. Call your new friend and invite her over for coffee or a playdate. Stephenee called me about six months ago and asked me to play cards with her one night a week. Our weekly game night is now vital to my survival. We've even expanded to four people, and non-card games. But it all started with her feeling sad, feeling like she needed more games and fun in her life, and asking me to join her. You could also start a bookclub or a small bible study group. I think the beginnings of friendships are very exciting - sharing the vital stories of your life, hearing someone's stories for the first time. A grand adventure!

 
At 5:05 PM, Blogger Sheila said...

Did you call her yet? :)

 
At 12:34 PM, Blogger joelle said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 12:34 PM, Blogger joelle said...

OK, i called you about your sad post and i got NO RETURN CALL miss lonely!

but seriously, with lon working nights i feel like a single mom and i understand. i too long for hanging out with a big family, though i never had that. your family and one other is the closest i have to that. so i can say i understand.

we miss you soo much we will see you in about 6 weeks!

 
At 12:34 PM, Blogger joelle said...

OK, i called you about your sad post and i got NO RETURN CALL miss lonely!

but seriously, with lon working nights i feel like a single mom and i understand. i too long for hanging out with a big family, though i never had that. your family and one other is the closest i have to that. so i can say i understand.

we miss you soo much we will see you in about 6 weeks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home