Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Red Dawn - a study of teenage heroism

My very good friend Glyn was shocked and appalled to learn that I listed the movie Red Dawn in my profile as one of my favorites. As an Engishman, he fails to appreciate the heroic, selfless acts of patriotism, harrowing danger and bravery that repeatedly, throughout the film demonstrate how fantastic Patrick Swayze looked in 1983.

That said, I also feel the need to respond to his accusation that I am swimming in dangerously "shallow" waters... I disagree. What girl wouldn't want to be a part of the band of teenagers camping out in the wilderness (with a bunch of hot teenage boys) and fighting the bad guys?

I've been reading alot lately and have come across the idea of "context" I guess you have to put my appreciation for this great film in "context" and understand that when I watched it as a 13 year old many years ago, it was the danger and adventure that appealed to me.

So Glyn, I'm waiting to read all about the anxiety you experience upon entering a nice restaurant and encountering a single napkin...

2 Comments:

At 4:57 PM, Blogger Glyn Norman said...

It appears that I mis-spoke. After checking out the Internet Movie database (www.imdb.com) and further researching this classic, I find line after line of stirring patriotic dialogue.

examples:

Jed Eckert: How did you get shot down, Colonel?
Col. Andy Tanner: It was five to one. I got four.
_____

Jed Eckert: [after the deaths of Aardvark and Colonel Tanner] It's kind of strange, isn't it? How the mountains pay us no attention at all. You laugh or you cry... The wind just keeps on blowing.
Matt Eckert: You're getting pretty low on feelings, aren't you?
Jed Eckert: I can't afford them.

______

(while giving guns to freed Americans]
Jed Eckert: C'mon! We're all going to die, die standing up!

_____

Matt Eckert: [after their flight from Calumet, Jed is fixing the radiator on his pickup-truck] Did you get it?
Jed Eckert: Yeah, I got it. Only thing is, we got one problem: we don't have any water.
Matt Eckert: How about pissing in it?
Jed Eckert: That's a good idea. Get up here.
[laughs]
Danny: How do you know it'll work?
Jed Eckert: How old are you, kid?
Danny: Fifteen. And the name's Danny, not "kid."
Jed Eckert: Well, when you grow up... then you'll know these things, Danny. Now get up here and piss in the radiator.

____

Okay. I'm converted :)

Glyn

 
At 7:37 PM, Blogger Sheila said...

All this fuss about Red Dawn from someone who likes Amelie. It's a fun little movie, but the orgasm montage? That was a little much!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home