Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Ground Hog Day And Then...

You could probably set your watch according to my routine - On any given day, children will be fed, and shuttled. Dishes will be loaded and unloaded. Some frozen piece of meat will hopefully be thawed and transformed into dinner that is served at exactly 5:30 pm. I'm making a concerted effort to expand my exciting daily rituals with lots of reading, not nearly enough exercise and a few spiritual practices. And then there are the isolated events that transform the mundane.

Like my experience at Moby's Carwash. Here in Louisville, they have these stand alone buildings with automatic, touchless car washes that you pull into. (similar but bigger than the one at the Shell station by my old house on Yorba Linda Blvd)

So, I pull up, deposit my $5.00 for my "Summer Squall" and proceed to drive in. The doors in front and back of me come down and Tyler and I watch as my 8 mile per gallon, atmosphere destroying vehicle is restored by water and soap. The wash is done and now as instructed by a neon sign being held by Moby - I pull forward. But the doors don't open. I back up, (maybe I have to trigger something) That doesn't work either. So now I'm sitting inside a car wash and I can't get out. I step out of my car, push the button for the door - nothing. I look for a phone number, a human, a side entry door - nothing. Maybe there is a manual release lever like my garage door opener at home - no.

After sitting in my car for 30 minutes, alternately reassuring my inquiring 3 year old that we'll get out soon - I am at a complete loss. Do I call the fire department? Not 911 - just the regular number and request that on the way back from extinguishing a house fire and saving people, could they help me escape this car wash? Can I pull the door up with my hands and crawl out? What the heck am I going to do? Now Tyler is getting nervous, of course he has to go the bathroom... this was funny 20 minutes ago, but I'm over it now.

I've pulled and pushed every button and lever in the carwash. (I can tell you how to trigger a free application of hot wax and rust inhibitor) I've blown dry my car (and my hair) four times. Now I'm just trying not to use profanity.

Finally, another car pulls up outside and I yell through the door that I'm trapped and can't get the door open. The very nice man laughed at me and then called the number that he could see posted on the OUTSIDE of the building and soon I was free.

Maybe next time, I'll wash the car in my driveway.

2 Comments:

At 5:10 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Michelle, you are the funniest. I'm so glad that others are going to get chance to share in the joy that is "listening" to your perspective. I have to admit, also, I looked at your Red Dawn listing with some questions. I thought perhaps it was a joke in line with you having a Creative Memories business. Apparently not. I guess my "Red Dawn" would be Barry Manilow! I listened to those melancholy love songs for hours on end from 6th grade through high school. :) Keep those posts coming.

 
At 8:58 PM, Blogger Sheila said...

Yeah! More blogging friends! This story is so so funny. I'm glad you got out of there!

One of the things I like most about blogging is that when something like this happens, something horrible and frustrating and life-draining, I seem to cope better by thinking, "What a great post this is going to make!" I wonder if speakers think the same way - this will make SUCH a great illustration in my next sermon . . .

Welcome to blogland!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home