Sunday, March 26, 2006

"When God saw you, it was love at first sight"


I feel a rant coming on, it can't be helped. I've passed by one too many church marquees with some trite, pithy little phrase on it. The physical and emotional response I have can only be likened to the distress I experience upon walking into my children's bathroom only hours after I've cleaned it to discover it has once again been reduced to a gas station restroom.

To wit:

"The best vitamin for a Christian is B-1"
"Jesus - gateway to the supernatural"
"Down in the mouth? It's time for a faith lift"
"Need a new life? God accepts trade-ins"
"You don't need to be brain dead to live for Jesus - but when you are, you'll be glad you did"
"Hell! I'd forgotten about that"
"Forbidden fruit creates many jams"
"Prevent truth decay, brush up on the Bible"
"Jesus: He's holding your atoms together"

Just a sampling of the quippy little quotes I've taken down over the years. Here's why they're all wrong. First - I have yet to meet somebody whose life was transformed as a result of reading a church marquee. Second - I have serious doubts that anybody driving by, Christian and heathen alike, actually stop and ponder the meaning of any given statement. Third - I think it reduces God and Christianity to a marketing tag line that is supposed to entice somebody to "buy the product"

It is my contention that I don't have "Christian credibility" with anyone till they've personally witnessed or experienced me truly behaving and living like one. More than anything, I would hate for someone who was actually considering darkening the door of a church for the first time to be dissuaded because they happened upon the cheesy marquee quote first.

So there it is. I'm stepping off my soap box (what does that mean anyway?) I'm done.

Just remember - "If God is your co-pilot - swap seats"

7 Comments:

At 5:02 PM, Blogger Sheila said...

Nicly done - the blog rant. I have to say, fundamentally I agree with you, but some of those marquee quotes crack me up. I esp. like the "truth decay" bit - that is too funny.

 
At 7:07 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Go Michelle! I knew there was a good reason for you to blog. The perfect touch of indignation without veering into insanity! Keep up the good work.

 
At 7:29 PM, Blogger Chickenone said...

mary - check out ruler of the roost's profile...

 
At 7:51 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

That's right, he's lucky! Maybe that should be his new id... Lucky Cluck!

 
At 10:53 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

That's a lovely hit counter you have there!

 
At 3:08 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Michelle, check out this blog... It is a funny coincidence, I think.

http://faithonajourney.blogspot.com/

The March 29th entry.

 
At 4:27 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Here's a blog that is dedicated to funny signs, and yes, there is a church one in there, too.

http://sillysigns.blogspot.com/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home