Thursday, August 02, 2007

I couldn't make this up if I tried...

Yesterday, with my beautiful, rambuctious, loud children in tow, I went to my pre-op appointment where they take blood, vitals, etc. It was all going along normally (with the exception of my children attempting to chat up every unsuspecting stranger in the hospital).

The nurse asked me to step on the scale. I did. "No, no way, that's impos - Grace, come over here and look at this." I'm looking at the number. The number is right. Now the nurse AND Grace are checking me out, looking at the scale like they can't believe what they are seeing. "Can you believe this?" Now they're both looking me up and down, inspecting me. "Girlfriend, all I can say is that you carry it well."

Example #33 on how people verbally malfunction with me.

I don't know what it is about me. I get she was surprised that the scale said I weighed as much as I do. I told her the number was right. She wasn't trying to be rude, she was just genuinely shocked. Kind of one of those backwards compliment deals.

So tomorrow I go in for surgery. I just want to wake up minus one gall bladder and not a kidney or something. I'm working on procuring a very loud bell (see my posts about Ruler of the Roost's surgery) so that he can wait on me and nurse me back to health.

I'll let you know how that goes.

11 Comments:

At 7:33 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I can't believe that!

I hope with all that I can hope that that woman had an "Aha" moment later and feels horrible.

Tell the doctor's you want proof they only took your gall bladder after the surgery!

 
At 11:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's horrible, and I know how that feels, as it was said to me in my 8th month of pregnancy. Like I didn't feel like a blimp already!

How brave you are to take your kids to your pre-op...mine might be repeating the weigh-in conversation for random audiences for generations to come.

Our prayers are with you in surgery and mostly in recovery as Ruler of the Roost will be at the helm!

 
At 5:36 PM, Blogger joelle said...

wait, i take that totally as a compliment! when the knowingly look at my numbers i get insulted. like they expected me to weigh THAT MUCH. you do look great. who cares what the scales say.

 
At 7:45 PM, Blogger Sheila said...

Good luck with the gall bladder thing. In a few weeks you'll be able to eat all the saturated fat- filled fried food that you want, only you won't want to any more. Gall stones. Such irony.

Best of luck with the big bell. I think Stuart may be sending you guys another gift . . . .

 
At 3:50 PM, Blogger life girl said...

I'd take it as a compliment too! I hope you are mending fast.

 
At 3:42 AM, Blogger oopsdupps said...

That is priceless. What are people thinking...oh yeh, they aren't.
You look great.

 
At 7:06 PM, Blogger Sheila said...

How's it going over there?

 
At 12:17 AM, Blogger Sheila said...

ok lady, one post a month is not enough. no excuses!

 
At 12:29 PM, Blogger Chickenone said...

Sheila -

I know, I have no excuses. I don't want to be removed from your sidebar!

 
At 12:08 AM, Blogger Dawn Coleman said...

So how are you doing minus gall-bladder? I'm glad I got to catch up by reading your blog! I really laugh hard at the entries where you compare Mark's day to your day, his menu to your menu... I feel like that too sometimes, especially when Jake travels. His text message will say "just had italian wine and chocolates" and mine will say "Just finished changing the 4th poopy of the day." :-)

 
At 2:03 PM, Blogger life girl said...

I tagged you for an obligatory 8 interesting things about me post. Hate me, I know. But I did it. Zoey

 

Post a Comment

<< Home