Monday, April 23, 2007

A Neighborly Exchange

Me "Hello _________. I see you listed your house, where are you moving?"

Her "We're going to Wisconsin, my husband's job" blah, blah, blah. "You know, I saw you last week walking in your yard and I was so surprised, you looked so beautiful, your hair, your face, and you were looking so slender." "I thought you lost so much weight!" "And then I see that is not you at all, it is your sister." "She is beautiful, and so thin!"

Me (invisible thought bubble above my head) Did she just say you are fat? I'm fat. Yes, she essentially just said that she initially confused me with my much thinner sister. I'm fat.

Me "Yes, that was my younger sister." "She was here visiting with my mom a few weeks ago."

Her "Oh, yes, I realize now that could not have been you."

Me (invisible thought bubble above my head) No, that wasn't me, does she realize what she just said? She is totally malfunctioning right now. I'm fat. She doesn't get it. I'm fat. Just smile, say a few more pleasantries and walk your big lard butt into the house. I'm fat. What is the deal with people and me? I am fat.

Me "Well, I hope you are able to sell your home quickly and that your move goes smoothly, we'll be sorry to see you leave." "Take care."

_____________________

Sometimes, it just takes the honest, forthright observation of somebody I barely know to be the impetus to change my eating and exercise habits. Thanks, neighbor.


6 Comments:

At 5:41 PM, Blogger oopsdupps said...

I believe God has a plan for all of us. His plan for me is to be the size I am with a superb muffin top.
Who cares what she sees. She is moving, anyway. Have a pig roast and don't invite her.

 
At 6:46 PM, Blogger Sheila said...

oooh, god bless stupid people. we just want to take them out back and slap them silly. you may be fat (but you're not), but at least you are not socially inept. (but you're not fat)

 
At 10:53 AM, Blogger joelle said...

i have decided to call people on these kinds of statements by saying something like "Are you saying that I am fat?" and just standing there silently wait for an answer. I see it as teaching them.

 
At 2:47 PM, Blogger Chickenone said...

Initially, I was just surprised that she would put it out there. She was not being knowlingly malicious. It actually really did snap me into shape so to speak.

Weird.

Other people have said less offensive things to me that hurt my feelings much more...

 
At 1:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I bet a small hand held air horn would keep pesky neighbors away or possibly is could be used one to recondition her, much like Palos’s dog. ei Every time she makes insensitive comments, have one of your wonderful children give her a small blast from the horn. I can almost guarantee that she will think twice about speaking to you.

Buck Cluck

 
At 1:21 AM, Blogger Sheila said...

Who IS this Buck Cluck person???

 

Post a Comment

<< Home