Monday, February 19, 2007

People Get Ready

Ruler of the Roost is scheduled for his right knee arthroscopy tomorrow. He's been instructed to bring his Living Will and nothing else. He assures me that he has been assured (note to self - make sure he's fully insured) that the procedure is very common and he'll be up and around in a few days.

It's the period between the surgery and "in a few days" that has me concerned.

Over the weekend he made mention of a few things he'd like me to have on hand to facilitate his recovery.

A BELL so that he can "ring me"
Wireless internet service purchased
His favorite sheets on the bed
Edy's Coffee Ice Cream
Hot Fudge
Extra pillows
His soft sweats laundered
Furniture rearranged in family room so he can watch TV
New Plasma TV purchased and mounted in our bedroom
Flexy straws
Coke Zero
Cranberry Juice
Merlot (lots of Merlot)
Cherry Chicken dinner
Cherry jello salad
Sponge bath supplies

I stopped listening when he started talking about sponge baths. I don't think Nurse Ratched gave anybody spongebaths.



I'm taking sign ups to cover the AM and PM shifts here with the patient. No experience required.

7 Comments:

At 2:04 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

At least not a pleasant spongebath!

 
At 2:54 PM, Blogger StuChew said...

How big is the TV?

 
At 3:57 PM, Blogger Chickenone said...

stuchew - his imaginary tv is about 60 inches

 
At 8:01 PM, Blogger Sheila said...

Boys. Honestly. If it was you having the surgery, he'd be calling in reinforcements and you'd hope that the house would be still standing and that the kids would be alive. Food would be takeout only, and you'd probably have to watch sports. (or kung fu movies) But seriously, what's this cherry chicken? Never heard of that. Is it from KFC?

 
At 8:43 PM, Blogger Chickenone said...

Sheila - cherry chicken is from rachel ray's cookbook. Neil Diamond cherries chicken or something like that. Basically it's a dried cherries, red onion, celery and fresh thyme, white wine and chicken stock reduction.

You're not kidding about if the shoe was on the other foot! Tonight, as I helped him up the stairs into the house, he waved me away and didn't want any assistance as he tried to manage the crutches for the first time. I was explaining going up the steps - his feet first, then the crutches. He feel backward and if it weren't for the refrigerator in the garage, he'd been on his back. He looked at me after I caught him by his sweatshirt kind of sheepishly after that. You can't tell them anything!

 
At 3:08 PM, Blogger StuChew said...

Actually you can tell us anything you want it is the listening, where everything falls apart

 
At 6:58 PM, Blogger Sheila said...

Oh my friend, it's gonna be a long week . . . . and I am very very sorry in advance for what my dear hub has done, but in his defense, I think he was thinking it would be really funny (and not functional). Watch your mail. You may need to "help" your patient open any packages he receives . . . .

 

Post a Comment

<< Home